Wednesday, March 21, 2007

therapy, and why you should go.

I warned you that I might be posting 45 times a day. I have alot to say.

I think everyone should be in therapy if they can afford it. It's the greatest thing in the world - you pay someone, and they listen to you say whatever you want. You can complain, drop the f-bomb, doubt that God cares, blame your parents, talk about your coworkers, and that person actually shows up the next week to hear more.

I have to say, therapy is the highlight of my week. It is the most liberating thing I've ever done. I've discovered so many things about myself.

I tried "Christian counseling" a few years ago, only to be severely annoyed and disappointed. I would talk about these serious issues, and all they would tell me was that God was good, and everything happens for a reason, and that I should pray more.

I know all of that.

And so now, I go to a psychologist, and the thing I love about her is that I don't know jack about her. She could be an atheist for all I know. After all, I don't need spiritual help. I need someone who's a brain expert. Because I've got a brain problem. And I need help with the rewiring process from someone who knows what they are doing.

If your dishwasher is broken, you don't want to go to someone who will wax poetic about how we could make the world a better place by using solar-driven appliances. You just want someone to fix the freaking dishwasher.

I've heard preachers go off on how someone shouldn't be in therapy forever. I don't think I agree with that. I think we don't talk enough about what's really going on, because we don't want to scare off our community. And frankly, I don't believe we should just let it all rip on those closest to us. I think it has potential to be exhausting, and frustrating for the receiver.

And so I go every week, to a Mental Health center, of all places, and let it all fly, along with a quad grande americano. I can't think of a better way to spend a friday morning.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

"When I talk about therapy,
I know what people think,
That it only makes you selfish
And in love with you your shrink,
But oh, how I loved everybody else
When I finally got to talk so much about myself..."
-Dar Williams "What Do You Hear in These Sounds?"

I agree, I highly recommend therapy/counseling. And I feel as religious leaders, we need to stop stimatizing mental issues (by shying away from talking about them) or spiritualizing them. Thank you for your blog.

RevGalBlogPals said...

I couldn't agree more, and clergy need it as much as, if not more, than others. We have to have a place to drop those bombs and let loose the anxiety that has no space in the non-anxious presence.
Welcome to RevGalBlogPals!

Unknown said...

Whoops! I wasn't speaking for the whole group, but for me!

bipolarocket said...

thanks..glad to be a part of a new community