Friday, March 23, 2007

A Day With Dar

After two friends referencing her, and having my therapist practically prescribe her today, I went on a Dar Williams hunt.

I don't really buy actual CDs anymore - I've given into digital living. But I figured I might be able to save some major bucks by perusing used CD stores.

I admit I am a music addict. It has always been my security blanket. If there's ever a fighting chance that someone's art might encourage me, I scour the planet for it like a crack addict looking for a really pure score.

I remember around two years ago, fighting a severely dark bout of depression, there was one song that kept me hanging on. It was Snow Patrol's "Run," and it was literally rescue for me. I can remember it sinking in like a drug as I sobbed into the carpet in my bedroom.

I don't live in a city where you would find Dar Williams just lying around. We're not that cool here. But, to my shock, I found three of her CDs, adding to the two I already had.

So Dar and I spent the day together, driving around town, on a mission. We drank coffee, covered quite a bit of ground, while she told me stories. We were in this together. It was almost like I felt as if I was looking for the rest of her. Like I would miss out on the whole picture if we didn't find all of her.

There is such incredible healing in empathy. I don't understand it. But I thank God for the holy places in art where souls can meet and find haven for a while.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Yea!! Isn't she great?!? I was such a Dar groupie in seminary. Seriously. I have often said that Dar writes for my soul.

Unknown said...

I met her in 08, she is so inspiring